Toyota MR2s are very nicely-designed, mid-engine sports cars with great reliability and build quality. My 1993 MR2 was in great condition when I found it for sale. I like the increased rigidity and clean look of MR2s without T-tops. Of course, a hardtop would have been even better than the sunroof.
It's amazing how Toyota can make a mid-engine car understeer so much. I have made lots of adjustments to dial out some of that understeer, including tire pressures, alignment, and anti-roll bar bushings.
I replaced the tires that were on this car with some Yokahama AVS tires, which made a big difference in the overall grip. I also changed the springs, installing Eibach Prokit springs, which lowered the car about an inch in the front (less in the rear) and increased the spring rate. The increased spring rate made a pretty big difference in the feel of the car in cornering, braking, shifting, and acceleration. Plus it made the car look a lot better, because it looked like it sat up too high in the front.
In November 2001, I made a body modification to the side air intakes, removing the horizontal line from the side air intake ducts. Scroll further down to see how this modification was done.
I made some small carbon fiber front mud flaps because the sides of the car were constantly getting dirty, and because I have this compelling need to have some carbon fiber parts on all of my cars. Black tinted windows are the only other body modification so far. I do plan to change the chrome Toyota logos to white so they will blend in better.
The interior features carbon fiber trim.
Console mounted "CD box" from MR2 Turbo
Strut tower brace from MR2 Turbo
Toyota 100,000 mile club member
In November, 2001, I made a modification to the side air intake panels. I have never really liked the look of the horizontal line inside the air intake duct, so I decided to remove it.
I had previously installed some Aeroware side intakes in my 1994 MR2. While I like the way they look, I was disappointed in their mediocre quality and in their lack of mounting provisions. A lot of work was involved in trying to get them installed correctly and making them fit and look right. I decided to modify some stock air intakes for this car instead. Not because it might be less work, but because the quality of the finished product would be better.
I started by buying a used pair of stock side intakes from a friend who had installed a body kit on their car. I could have easily used the original panels on the car instead, but I didn't want to have to go without them on the car for a long time, nor did I want to have to rush to finish the modification as I really didn't know how long it would take, or how well it would come out for that matter.
The first operation was to chop the fins out of the ducts using a small cutting wheel. Next, I ground the edges down smooth. This left a small hole on the rearward sides and a large one on the front sides of the ducts.
Next, I made a simple aluminum sheet "mold" for the holes in the front sides of the ducts. I covered the rear hole with a piece of duct tape on the outside of the panel. I then laid up several layers of fiberglass mat over the front and rear holes on both panels. After drying, I removed the molds and ground the fiberglass patches in the ducts smooth. Then I applied a small amount of body filler and block sanded extensively to fill in the lines and level out the low spots.
When I was finally satisfied with the contours I took the parts to the local paint shop for the Toyota Super White treatment.